Thursday, October 17, 2019

Happy Anniversary!

30 years ago this past June we moved back to CA to be closer to my mom who was ill, and to help my dad out. So we initially moved into their house with them. And we lived there for a few months - not the most ideal situation. I got a nightshift job in Salinas, and husband was looking for a job.

On October 17th my dad went in for cataract surgery and was home. Husband, kids and I were all in the back bedroom watching the World Series when it happened.....yep, the Loma Prieta earthquake. Very surreal.

First earthquake for our kids. One of the biggest we ever felt. We lost power and communication. I did not even try to go to work that night - not knowing the road situation, and with my dad fresh from surgery.

So …. 30 years go by. And we move back into this same house in June. And here it is October and the 30th anniversary of the earthquake. And we have had earthquakes. A big one up in the Bay Area. And then an even bigger one down here. Don't know if Mother Nature is just dancing with us or what.

The day of the one here - we were outside getting an (outrageous!!) quote for landscaping of the back yard. The estimator and I just looked at each other - not even the usual "Was that an earthquake?" Nope, it was - "THAT was an earthquake!". And my husband never even felt it - only believed up when he saw things still moving.

That estimate - wow! Even shocked my husband. Their work is beautiful. But it really was a bit more over the top than what we wanted or visualized.

So yesterday another guy came. And immediately his vision was more in line with what we wanted. And way more within our budget! So we put a down payment down. Now it just depends on Bella's recovery and when they are able to start....

Took Bella in on Monday. They said her incision is healing nicely but we needed to get her on her tranqs. We realized that when she RAN down the driveway, jumped into the truck, and kept jumping all around. So we came home and gave her 2 tablets - and I had to keep going over and making sure she was breathing! So Tuesday we tried 1 pill, and it did not phase her. Yesterday went to 1.5 pills and she is awake, going to the bathroom, eating, but still spending most of the time laying around sleeping. Bingo!

She goes back again next Monday. We will see then if she is ready for stitches to come out or not.

1 comment:

Lorette said...

Glad that your baby Bella is calmer! We keep getting reminded of the “inevitable” catastrophic Cascadia earthquake. Which reminds me, I need to stick a sock project in the emergency earthquake box.

Hello?? Knock knock...Anyone Out There?

 Wow - I did not post ANYTHING for over a year?  But I have thought about it! And so much has happened! I came here to tell a funny little s...