Thursday, December 22, 2022

Aging

 Why is so much about aging kept a secret?

Or is it that we just dont pay attention when we are younger?

I mean we all know about the wrinkles, and age spots/sun spots......but balding women???? No, that is only supposed to happen to men!

And what is with hair? You find bits and pieces growing in places that they dont belong. And the grow longer much more quickly than the hair on top of your head!

And then there is the areas that grown sparser with age....not your underarms....not your legs....but much more private areas.

And ok, over the years of being a CNA and then an RN, I have taken care of elderly - very elderly - women who were, shall we say, bald as a baby? But why dont we know that it starts happening long before that? And not in  an attractive way either. 

You know what I find the hardest to deal with - the most sad - is the back of my hands...it seemed like overnight they turned into old lady hands. And nothing I try seems to help.

Dont get me wrong - I dont regret my age - I am luckier than many people I know to have lived this long. And there is no way I would want to repeat ages - I would never want to be a pre-teen or a teen in this day and age!

But I think there should be some warning, dont you?

(I think this was all precipitated by reading a book I found called No! I Don't Want to Join A Book Club, Diary of a 60th Year by Virginia Ironside. Not the most compelling book I have read, but one I cannot put down even though I have to wade through British colloquialisms)

Please share any thoughts  you have on this subject!

No comments:

Aging

 Why is so much about aging kept a secret? Or is it that we just dont pay attention when we are younger? I mean we all know about the wrinkl...