Thursday, April 10, 2008

Recipes

Found this recipe in "Greetings From the Knit Cafe" by Suzan Mischer. The orignator of the recipe is Julie Stark.

ORANGE HONEY MUFFINS

Muffins:

2 c flour
1/2 c uncooked oatmeal, not instant
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 c brown sugar
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
2/3 c orange juice
zest of 1 large orange
1/4 c honey
5 - 1/2 T butter, melted

Icing:
1 - 1 1/2 c powdered sugar
1 T orange juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan well, or line with muffin papers.

Combine flour, oatmeal, baking powder, salt and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl and stir. Add the eggs, orange juice, orange zest, honey, and melted butter and stir just until mixed. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake 20 - 25 minutes or until light golden.

For icing: Combine powdered sugar and orange juice until smooth glaze is formed. Drizzle over warm muffins. Muffins are best eaten warm.

(12 muffins).

And here is an old fashioned recipe that I havent heard of in years, from an Old Fashioned Country Christmas by Gooseberry Patch (there are many versions of this cake depending on the interpretation, this one is more of a spice cake):

SCRIPTURE CAKE

1/2 c Judges 5:25, last clause II Chronicles 9:9, to taste
2 T I Samuel 14:25 Pinch of Leviticus 2:13
Jeremiah 6:20 1/2 c Judges 4:19, last clause
6 Jeremiah 17:11 (seperated) 2 c Nahum 3:12
2 c I Samuel 30:12 2 c Numbers 17:8
1-1/2 c I Kings 4:22
2 tsp Amos 4:5

Whip the Judges, Jeremiah, and I Samuel until light. Beat the 6 Jeremiah yolks and add to the mixture. Add Kings, Amos, Chronicles, and Leviticus alternating with Judges. Fold in Nahum, Numbers, and Samule, then also the Jeremiah whites, beaten stiff. Bake 2 hours in greased 10" tube pan at 300 degrees.

I finally found the recipe I have been looking for - mini panettones thanks to Martha Stewart Living Christmas cookbook - will try those out for Christmas gifts this year! And a new Cranberry Pistachio biscotti recipe in her book too - the ones I made last year were just ok (especially since they were the first time I have made biscotti!!) so hopefully these will be better.

I am frustrated looking for a recipe. A few months ago I made a soup that as so good and I am so hungry for it - and cannot find the recipe! I think it had fresh baby spinach in it, and maybe white beans, but also parmesan cheese rind...if I could only remember were I got it, that would help my search!

No comments:

Hello?? Knock knock...Anyone Out There?

 Wow - I did not post ANYTHING for over a year?  But I have thought about it! And so much has happened! I came here to tell a funny little s...