Sunday, April 11, 2021

Happy Pierogie Day!

 So, the daughters and grandkids were coming yesterday for "Easter dinner". Yay!

Did all the spring cleaning - thinking it would not be too much - but of course, once you cleaned one area you find something else.....but it got done. 

Then on Thursday hubby made the pierogie filling.

And on Friday we made the pierogie dough and  let it rest while we went for our 2+ mile walk. Came back and made those darn things. He decided this year he was going to make large ones. And large ones he made. 77 of them! Had to made a 2d recipe of dough!

And granted he does do the assembly of them - I primarily just, at that point, help with making the strips of dough. But what he keeps forgetting to mention is....we made the dough, I did the dishes. We needed more dough, and then I did the dishes. I made a cake. I did the dishes. We finished the pierogies, I did the dishes. I made a 2d cake, I did the dishes. I made the frosting for one cake (the 2d one I decided I could frost the next day), I did the dishes.

I looked at him and said - you know we are going to go grab a hamburger or something for dinner because not only am I not cooking - but I am not doing any more dishes!

And this all messed up my week because we generally have this meal on Easter Sunday.....so it just messed up my time concept with having it on Saturday!

Saturday we got up and finished the last minute cleaning (vacuuming and mopping), and setting the tables.....took a shower. Passed on our short walk - Friday killed my knees. All that standing making the dough and the pierogies, plus 2 cakes, and frosting - too much standing for my knee!

And then sat and waited - and soon I got to hug my grandkids! And they tolerated the hugs - both on arrival and departure!

I have to brag about 2 of them. The oldest has his first job. And he put in to have this Saturday off but when the schedule came out he was scheduled to work. Well, he got it straightened out so he could be off. But apparently there are new managers at the grocery store he is working at - and Saturday morning he got a call - where are you? And that apparently really shook him up. But he was able to talk to the manager who called - and explained that another manager gave him the day off etc. And she did call him back and said that he was right, she was sorry but it hadnt been communicated properly, and not to worry about anything it was all taken care of.

And then his next younger brother - at the last minute his HS Water Polo coach scheduled a scrimmage day for the middle of the afternoon on Saturday. They live 114 miles away so.....

We basically told him that it was his call. And as much as he really wanted to be there (all they have been doing is practice, there have been no meets) he chose to come here. Before he left for the day I told him no matter what he had chosen we would have been ok with it - but we were very happy he chose to come to see us! And he did not whine or complain about it at all. He did find out, and share with us, that the coach had to call in 6 varsity players to play (so apparently he was not the only one not going to be there!) and they still lost....to a team they had no hopes of beating anyway.

The adults (although my oldest grandson is now 18, still not an adult yet!!! LOL) ate inside. John is an old friend who has been in our small "bubble" this past year+; he is also my oldest daughter's godfather. So we were thrilled he was able to share the meal with us.
The weather cooperated - it was slightly warmer but most importantly it was sunny and not windy (it was crazy windy on Friday - I was worried) so the kids ate outside.

They all left about 5:30ish and there were 4 tired pups in our house! The dogs came in, "snacked" and went to sleep. Got up a few hours later to go outside, and then to bed....go up this morning to go outside, and then came back in and back to sleep!!!!

We just kind of sat and vegged. I was so full from our meal that I could not face dessert until later that night.

BTW the cakes were a Cracker Barrel Carrot Cake, and a Cracker Barrel Coca Cola cake. That was for the chocolate lovers. And I was told it is good - but I am not a chocolate lover so.....My husband said that the Carrot Cake was the better one (he is the reason we have the CC!!) but he did have a 2d piece of the Coca Cola cake today.....the girls did not take enough cake home with them....I am thinking we might have to freeze some....

Today we went on our long walk and I just could not do the 2 cul de sacs but still managed 2 miles. And my knees are killing me! Took awhile for my hip to loosen up too

No comments:

Hello?? Knock knock...Anyone Out There?

 Wow - I did not post ANYTHING for over a year?  But I have thought about it! And so much has happened! I came here to tell a funny little s...