Thursday, August 29, 2019

Monterey County Fair

I know everyone hates to hear "when I was a kid, things were bigger/better/etc" but this fair is a prime example.

There use to be buildings full of things - now there are tables.....the food court was put on by organizations and the food was GOOD....now there are only 2 organizations and one of them was pretty lousy....no chickens or rabbits this year! Cows? Did I even see any? A few.....

Makes me sad. Fairs are supposed to be fun, entertaining, educational....



 Small area of knit items. The "sponsors" welcomed me - saying they needed new blood! I should have entered more....I forgot to take photos but I did "enter" two knit caps for the Veterans....they will be donated at the end of the Fair. Lots of lap quilts displayed for them, but mine were the only 2 caps
 There was a separate building for quilts. And nice ones too - very pretty. But I liked this one because most of the rest were traditional quilts and this was a little different
 I liked this saying
 Very nice gentlemen. He complimented me on my choice of seating (in the shade!) and I complimented him on his sparkly purple shoes. He told me he is an artist and a performer. And today he was celebrating Michael Jackson's birthday....and getting into the Fair free! He said in a few weeks he will be celebrating Prince's birthday by dressing all in purple!
 I really really wanted to just pet and rub the ears on these goats - they looked so soft and silky!
 No thank you! Although probably would have been much better than the lousy fried artichoke hearts we had - Watsonville HS Band use to have a food trailer at the fair - and their's were to die for!
 Maybe we could have had enough lemonade for all the grands at the Alameda County Fair if they had had this there!
 I was told this is a spinning wheel from India that was donated to the spinning guild who sponsored the Wool Show
 This use to be chockful of gardens, and plants, and flowers. So beautiful! Last year there was a company here that we were hoping to see again - because they had something to get rid of gophers....no such luck
Again - the sewing entries use to take up a whole building. Now it takes up this table. Makes me want to decide on something simple to enter next year - just to get another entry there!



No comments:

Hello?? Knock knock...Anyone Out There?

 Wow - I did not post ANYTHING for over a year?  But I have thought about it! And so much has happened! I came here to tell a funny little s...