Sunday, July 8, 2007

And the gods laughed...

Wow - this last week was something else. I picked up 2 - 12 hour shifts and an 8 hr PM shift to off set using my PTO for a vacation week I no longer wanted. I worked 8 hours out of all those hours...

And it was hot...hotter than hot....miserably hot....anyone know of cheap air conditioning installation? They said it topped out at 107 here on Thursday...

The good thing is, two hot days in a row and by the 2d day, even tho it was hotter, it didn't feel hotter.

That was until I got into an accident. Yep, in the Post Office Parking lot. Just stopping off to mail off a birthday present (happy birthday tomorrow Amy!!) and as I was pulling into a parking place, someone chose to swing out of the one next to it. Thought I only received some cosmetic damage, but my hubby pointed out where the bumper had been pushed out of alignment. The other car got a lot of damage...not sure how she couldn't see a big ole truck pulling in next to her....oh that's right - I never saw her look in my direction once!! But of course she, and her passenger, insisted it was all my fault - I hate when people try to make me out as a liar when I am not lying! And then I find out - she is leaving the country that same day! So I immediately got on the phone with my insurance company - and was then 15 minutes late for my hair cut - but LeeAnne did a great job anyway!!!

First accident I have been in....in years...no, decades....I am NOT happy about this at all!

So then Saturday we got the bathroom painted and I am thinking, hmmmm, not sure I am liking this shade of green at all....very light...too light??...hmm....

A friend of my son's believes in conspiracy theories, and I am beginning to believe in some also.

Let's see - we were looking for replacement shower doors. Not pivot ones - not 3 sided ones - not tub doors - big a** shower doors. And not clear glass either - those you can find anywhere but after living with clear glass ones for all this time - no way, so sir, uh uh! So the ones we liked? Yup...special order...28 days + shipping time....$560!!!!!!! Conspiracy theory #1 - they want you to buy only the clear glass ones so you spend oodles of dollars every month in trying to find something that will keep them perfectly clear (17? years later, I have yet to find anything ...)

So back we went to Expo and bought the $300+ ones that I sorta liked. At least they were in stock and a little cheaper. Got them up today without a crack or a chip or a break!!!

Stopped at Home Depot this morning and got some more odds and ends, like baseboard. So after we got the shower doors up - decided to pull in the vanity (ha! - lug it in I mean- so heavy and awkward) and check out what it was looking like. You know, the vanity we bought about 2 years ago on sale...and that we ripped out of the carton and threw the carton away a couple of weeks ago when we made all those dump runs?...yeah - that one. Anyone need a brand new, never used 36" oak vanity?????

Yep, it wont work. Cause the piping in this older home is made for vanities that, if you have drawers, the drawers have to be on the left hand side - just like the ancient ugly one we got rid of. Meanwhile, sometime in the past who-knows-how-many years....the cabinet builders and plumbers got together and decided - hey let's both make some money - we will decide that all pipes now have to be moved to fit vanities with drawers only on the right hand side!!! Conspiracy theory #2!!!!!!!

Yeah, you can find vanities with drawers on the left hand side - SPECIAL ORDER!!! MORE COSTLY!!!!!! So now the choice to be made - no drawers??? Buy a whole new vanity and sink (which means we are then stuck with a granite sink we don't need) which has no drawers whatsoever?? I found a great one that would work perfectly on the 'net...ONLY $4,000.00!!!! Anyone wanna send it to me as a late birthday present????

So, after making trip #2 to Home Depot and OSH, and #1 to Expo and Lowe's (this were the trips today that is!), we came home and decided to take a deep breath...put the vanity issue on the back burner and put the toilet back in.

I mean, c'mon, how many toilets have we installed over the years?? no problem....so I went outside to clean it and cut my thumb...and then we struggled to get the sucker back in (they are not lightweight you know) and put in place...twice....cause the first wax ring didn't work right...as I was tightening the nut on that long screw like thing that sticks up out of the flange to help hold the toilet in place, it broke off. Not the screw, or the nut, but the part of the flange the screw sticks up out of. Rusted off and broke. Even tho hubby diligently checked for that when we took the toilet out and when we brought it back in.

Guess I am stronger than I appear even to myself! So now...we get to wait for a plumber to assess the issue which translates in more time running upstairs every time to use the bathroom (and it is summer and hot which means we drink too many liquids...) and even more money out of pocket than we planned...

BUT - now that we have the floor tiles uncovered, they really bring out the green in the paint and I like it better....and the shower doors are up without any issues and they look pretty....and yesterday I finally picked out the lights...

And we saw 2 movies this weekend.

AND my son just told me some people are flying him to Austin Texas this week to meet with him about some of his painting and mural work - that is very good news!! (That is his website below - Midnight Murals - check it out!).

My family doesn't call me Pollyanna for nothing! I will always find something good to cheer someone up - even if it isn't me who is cheered up.

Just when you think things are starting to come together and the end is in sight...the gods will laugh at you...

1 comment:

Birdsong said...

Whew! I sure hope this coming week is better... made me tired just reading about it, so living it mustn't have been any picnic. My son got in a similar accident a few years back; when my ins. checked, person no longer had the ins. they had told him they had and he lost the car to claim the uninsured motorist coverage (it was too old). Good thing you called right away.

Hello?? Knock knock...Anyone Out There?

 Wow - I did not post ANYTHING for over a year?  But I have thought about it! And so much has happened! I came here to tell a funny little s...