Wednesday, July 11, 2007

A Rant

Havent seen much news lately. Which may or may not be a bad thing.
But I did get to see the news article on TV about the tax money endowed tea pot museum that is being built in the south. I forget where - one of the Carolinas?

Anyway, they are not historial teapots. Nope, Revere did not make one or use one. They are teapots collected by this well off - well connected family. And they decided they wanted to 'share' them (AKA recieve a tax deduction while still 'owning' them). So they contacted their buddy Hanes - yup, that Hanes - the underwear king. Who arranged through some of his elected 'friends' to have 1/2 million dollars donated so that a museum could be built to house the teapots...Tax money you know.

In a town that could very well use the tourist trade. But it is not near an airport or supposedly anything else that would attract lots of visitors...And unless you jsut drool over looking at lots of teapots owned by someone else...there doesnt seem to be much reason to pay to go into a museum to see them.

I like teapots...I think that there are many teapots out there that are downright beautiful.

Do I think that our tax money should be used to subsidize a museum to hold the teapots collected by well off Americans??

HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That 1/2 million dollars could be used in so many other ways...immunizations...health clinics...foster care....you name it....

Just another case of your tax dollars hard at work to benefit the few and otherwise, not needy...

2 comments:

Yarner said...

I had not heard of this. I collect teapots! If I had a museum, I would have room for MORE TEAPOTS! So yes, I would go to such a museum. After all, I went to the Tiffany lamp museum (part of a museum that is) in Norfolk, Va. And I don't own those glass antiques either.

danielle said...

I probably/possible would go to a teapot museum. I have nothing against tea pots - I think some are quite attractive. What I am against are the wealthy people obtaining and using taxdollars to set up a tax shelter for themselves!

Aging

 Why is so much about aging kept a secret? Or is it that we just dont pay attention when we are younger? I mean we all know about the wrinkl...